Wednesday, 2023-08-23

*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has quit IRC00:05
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has joined #libre-soc00:05
*** psydroid <psydroid!~psydroid@user/psydroid> has quit IRC00:10
*** gnucode <gnucode!~gnucode@user/jab> has quit IRC02:35
*** psydroid <psydroid!~psydroid@user/psydroid> has joined #libre-soc07:52
openpowerbot[irc] <lkcl> sadoon, hooraaay08:44
*** lkcl <lkcl!> has joined #libre-soc08:52
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Also, just got a new job officially, much better pay but I only start in October09:04
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has quit IRC09:32
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has joined #libre-soc09:33
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has quit IRC10:14
*** octavius <octavius!> has joined #libre-soc10:25
octaviuslkcl, the 5 emails have been added to bug #961, please to make sure Dmitry can submit for payments10:35
octaviuscorrection: please indicate if anything else is missing that would prevent Dmitry from making requests10:36
octaviusI guess a new json will need to be generated10:37
markos_is there a nlnet rfp url available?10:45
octaviusDon't ask me XD10:46
octaviusI haven't received a secret link for the On-Going one yet (#961)10:47
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has joined #libre-soc11:02
lkcloctavius: it doesn't work that way.  now you - all of you - need to answer the questions that michiel asked, to his satisfaction.12:45
lkclmarkos_, no there is not an NLnet RFP URL available because Bob Goudriaan will not have the MoU put in front of him until the questions raised by Michiel are answered to his satisfaction12:45
lkclotherwise NLnet places themselves at serious risk by being unable to answer any queries during the EU Auditor Review12:46
lkcloctavius: as i am the project lead *i* will receive the secret URL (and the signed Memorandum of Understanding), and will send out the URL to everyone12:47
lkclbut i will only receive it once Bob Goudriaan has Authorised the Schedule A12:47
lkcland he is not going to do that until *you* - all of you - have satisfactorily responded to Michiel's questions.12:48
lkclsadoon, the gentoo one you said is 100% complete, by way of the wiki page being a 100% complete set of "repro" instructions? or is the make.conf still TODO there?12:49
lkclif it is then it can be changed to "RESOLVED/FIXED" and we can do a 1/5th 4/5th split on the budget.12:49
lkcli need some money in, relatively soon.12:50
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I was travelling so the complete set of files wasn't with me12:51
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> It'll all be done tonight12:52
markos_lkcl, fair enough, though I'm unsure what I can answer to Michiel, he doesn't seem to mention any of my tasks.13:02
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has quit IRC15:27
*** ghostmansd[m] <ghostmansd[m]!~ghostmans@> has joined #libre-soc15:28
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Boy what a day. A guy sleep-driving on the highway and does not wake up when I honk16:03
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Hope I don't read about it in the news16:03
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Anyways lkcl:  I'm back and working on finishing up everything16:03
lkclmarkos: no, but they still need review16:15
lkclsadoon, awesome - if you mean debian as well that's EUR 5,00016:16
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Yes, both of course :)16:17
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> and the testing part16:17
lkclyyyeah i've heard about that (and actually had it happen to me). in my case i nearly smashed into the back of a van at a speed difference of 25 mph, swerved instead with only 8 metres to go and just missed an oncoming car16:17
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> only qemu is missing, and for that I'll just write up what we attempted to do and that further research is needed yeah?16:17
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Wow that's absolutely insane, glad you're safe16:18
lkclbut i heard of someone at lights watching another car coming up at 70 mph, a mile-long straight road: they got out the way and the guy smashed into the car just in front of them.16:18
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> My cousin is a sleep walker and once drove somewhere far off while sleeping, it's crazy16:18
lkclit was... over 20 years ago now16:18
lkclbasically yes - it's a starting-point where a future grant can be justified, and whomever does it can go "oh, ok, i just replicate all this and carry on"16:19
lkclit'll most likely be you and toshaan, but hey :)16:19
lkcli liked the idea of pinning to a specific build-tag of gentoo, that's a really good idea. and no we don't need to host it.16:20
lkclbtw it *should* be technically possible to use the trick that openembedded/yocto use, which is to run building in qemu-ppc64le-user/qemu-ppc64-user, instead of needing an actual ppc64le/ppc64 nost as a hard requirement16:22
lkclbut that's for another time.16:22
lkcli'll cross-ref on the bugreport16:22
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Sure16:28
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> But I do think we should keep building natively to avoid issues16:28
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Especially since we do have a talos server avaiable to us16:29
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> That's the best use-case for it :)16:29
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> <openpowerbot> "[irc] <lkcl> i liked the idea of..." <- I was just now copying the filename so we can have a permanent link to$THE_TARBALL16:30
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Hmm we might need to host it after all, seems the gentoo mirrors don't have anything older than 3-4 weeks16:33
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> yup, not available anymore
lkclyyeees we do... for now.  and that also means that everyone who works on this project has to have internet access16:35
lkcldo you have a copy? and how big is - was - it?16:35
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Luckily16:35
lkclwhat size is the file?16:36
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I have both the iso and the tarball, only the tarball is necessary as you can chroot and do it16:36
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> 214MB16:36
lkcl214 mb... ok that's doable on ftp.libre-soc.org16:36
lkclcan you drop it onto a server somewhere temporarily then let me know? i'll wget it across into the ftp directory.16:37
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> ah poop, I don't have the original checksums, that shouldn't be a problem right?16:37
lkclyeah i don't care :)16:37
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Alright one sec then16:38
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Mine is from July so it's not there16:39
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I tried using the same link I used to download it, no success16:39
lkclthere's only... 2023-08-13/15/18/20/21/22/2316:39
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1>
lkclno they roll them and delete them due to the amount of space, most likely16:39
lkclgot it...16:39
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> SHA256 : 2c97446d09f2790ee6cc3e4cbff0d204f6f0914083fc36998d0b08fcb28f8e9016:39
lkcl5.40 mb/sec zzzip.....16:40
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Hey that's not bad16:40
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I expect more from a 5G router but it's on top of my server rack which interferes somewhat16:41
lkclmythic-beasts negotiate 100% guaranteed speeds16:41
lkclok when you have a moment can you also update the description (edit comment #0)
lkclto provide a summary (2 lines is enough) then answer michiel so that under task #999 he has a way to reassure both his boss (Bob Goudriaan) actual "Work for the Public Good" took place (NLnet's mandate) as well as reassuring the EU Auditor?
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Alright one sec16:45
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Gentoo is 100% complete with the exception of the video tutorial16:45
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I'm thinking of sacking that because if you can do gentoo you don't need a tutorial16:45
lkclas far as i'm concerned it's all there now. a video would be "icing on the cake" and help "promote what we are doing" which in and of itself is justifiable for *another* grant :)16:46
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I seem to have lost my desktop mic which is necessary heh16:47
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Anyways I'll mark it complete then?16:47
lkcldoh :)16:48
lkclyes sure go for it.16:48
lkcldo update the comment #0 with those 2 lines. click the "edit" button, you should have permission for "comment editing"16:50
* lkcl editing the wiki page to link to the stage3 tarball16:50
lkcli also cross-referenced the bugreport from the wiki (this is "standard practice" for this project - *EVERYTHING* is cross-linked, so it is easy to navigate from context instead of being forced to perform internet searches)16:51
lkclroot@libre-soc:/var/www/ sha256sum stage3-ppc64le-openrc-20230720T024654Z.tar.xz16:58
lkcl2c97446d09f2790ee6cc3e4cbff0d204f6f0914083fc36998d0b08fcb28f8e90  stage3-ppc64le-openrc-20230720T024654Z.tar.xz16:58
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> hey, there's
lkclprogrammerjake: ahhh awesome16:59
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> so, if that works, we can generally rely on not disappearing17:00
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> using the one from 2022 will probably require testing tho...17:01
lkclthat's brilliant, as long as they keep taking snapshots of that page17:01
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> or I can make save the current state so you have a recent snapshot17:02
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> 2022 is their latest snapshot17:02
* lkcl thinksthinkthinks... yyyeah good idea - it can be re-checked (replicated) later17:03
lkclroot@libre-soc:/var/www/ df -h17:04
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> so, save the current state?17:04
lkclngggggh stress17:04
lkclyes please!17:04
lkclit's a great idea - then for the next grant / next time someone replicates it they will have at least a "close enough" snapshot17:05
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> well, i was thinking that if running the gentoo build is nearly entirely automated, it could just be rerun with a snapshot we know is on archive.org17:06
lkcltrue. nice. i couldn't get to the page though ( unavailable)17:11
lkclso it's not 100% guaranteed17:12
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> well, i mean they're not deleting it....17:12
lkcli've done the same cross-referencing, moved the debian wiki page, updated it as the URL of the bugreport, put the bugreport *in* the wiki page17:12
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> just seems to be slow today17:13
lkclprogrammerjake: the point is to not rely on guaranteed internet access.  we have had contributors from india, octavius lives in a remote area of england, and my internet access went down to FIFTEEN kilobytes per second over 3G/4G last year17:14
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> yeah, but if you don't have internet you can't download from either...17:15
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> I expect to generally be up more often than and have more server capacity17:16
lkclthat's why i have everything locally, and have insisted that every devscript *is* only dependent on local resources - even the mailing list is in a publicinbox git repository, and people can always do "wget --mirror" on the IRClog page17:19
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> yes, you can also download the files from and use them later, there's no reason you have to be online when you use them17:24
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> so, imho if you're ok downloading from (if they kept them), you should be equally ok downloading from archive.org17:25
lkclwhich is something that the automated script would have to take into account.17:25
lkcland that requires modifying a task that has 15-20 minutes ago been declared "100% completed"17:26
lkclbut is a good idea for the next set of work under a new grant17:26
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> ok, then just say "here's a link that may work, you can use it instead of the link but some script modification is required"17:27
lkclthere's quite a lot of cross-references but it may be worth noting on the bugreport17:27
lkclwilldo gimme a sec17:27
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake>
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake>
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake>
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake>
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake>
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> also:
lkclyep i cannot get access to U.S. domains *at all* right now17:29
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> i think it should be put in the git repo too...17:29
lkclthere will be some sort of DDOS attack going on which is eating up bandwidth between the two continents17:29
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> can you access the talos server? you can use lynx on that...17:29
lkclyes, interestingly, i can17:30
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> probably in a readme file17:30
lkclbut i need to go out for a walk17:30
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> hmm, maybe your isp is blocking it?17:31
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> lemme try accessing it through tor, maybe has some weird stuff happening...17:31
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> seems to work, afaict i was accessing it through the netherlands17:38
openpowerbot[irc] <programmerjake> I added the more recent snapshot link to the wiki:;a=commitdiff;h=d0a899b7c94dca04ef189a56d2ac0387098525ae18:03
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> The ones from 2022 probably aren't the ones we want18:28
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Having some issues with debootstrap which makes the last step of debian sffs not work ugh18:31
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> And a huge headache18:31
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> WHAT18:41
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I just tried before taking a break and it didn't work.. and now it's working18:41
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Hmm I can't seem to chroot into it but the executables by themselves miraculously work18:44
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> It'18:46
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> It's missing glibc, because of course it is18:46
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> So close!18:49
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> I'll work on task 1128 while it builds the final package we need :)18:51
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> For now I'll be building it without the patches the programmerjake  sent last week because I am having some issues with them18:53
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> it should otherwise just work18:53
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Ah as I suspected, binutils doesn't completely respect our CFLAGS even in gentoo.. sad19:06
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Task 1128 is complete, should I also make a wiki page for it? Or just add a small paragraph explaining how to test for VSX under both the Debian and Gentoo wiki pages19:13
*** tplaten <tplaten!~tplaten@> has joined #libre-soc19:26
tplatencurrently doing: preparing for and
tplatenAt CCCamp I met some of the Asahi graphics developers, I talked to one of them and told them about libre-soc. They only know about libreboot.19:30
tplatenThe Kilux talk will be in German, in the first half I'll talk about projects like Asahi, noveau and the historic OGP, part two is about libre-soc.19:32
tplatenA few weeks later, I'll do a talk about GNU/Binutils and libre-soc.19:33
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Awesome19:34
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Ok nevermind, there are minimal VSX instructions in both debian and gentoo and they very well could be in a codepath that already tests whether VSX is available, still bad because they probably use IFDEF POWERLE or something stupid like that19:39
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> To be precise, /bin, /sbin, /usr/lib* all contain exactly 12 instances of VSX instructions19:41
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> for gentoo19:41
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Ah wonderful, a script that works in zsh but not bash. pain19:53
octaviuslkcl, is there a meeting tonight?19:55
markos_should be yes20:03
*** tplaten <tplaten!~tplaten@> has quit IRC20:11
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> There's no one in the room20:14
markos_it's in 45m20:16
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Ah it gets me every time20:17
lkcli'm not going to be able to attend. can you please all sort out an agenda and write up a wiki page of minute notes?20:42
lkclyou know the usual format - roundrobin "what i am working on" - and then also i recommend covering the Ongoing Grant, answering the questions for michiel20:44
lkclprogrammerjake there's no point generating JSON files until the task description comment #0 is completed for the subtasks highlighted by Michiel20:45
markos_lkcl, we'll try20:46
lkclmarkos_, appreciated.20:47
markos_meeting is now :)21:04
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Just tried to join it says I'm the only one here21:05
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Is it on VanTosh or jitsi?21:06
openpowerbot[irc] <sadoon[m]1> Nvm21:06
octaviustoshywoshy, can you attend the meeting?21:08
octaviusThe bi-weekly one21:08
toshywoshysorry, I was afk21:51
octaviusno worries22:46
*** octavius <octavius!> has quit IRC22:47
*** Gooberpatrol66 <Gooberpatrol66!~Gooberpat@user/gooberpatrol66> has quit IRC23:51

Generated by 2.17.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!